Saturday, October 10, 2009

what is right isn't always easy

Joseph.
The story of Joseph in the Bible is a beautiful one, filled with love and forgiveness. In my book I am reading, called Love by, Calvin Miller, told of the beauty of forgiveness. The scripture reference is Genesis chapter 50 verses 19-21 "Do not fear, for am I in the place of God? As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good, to bring it about that many people should be kept alive, as they are today. So do not fear I will provide for you and your little ones. Thus he comforted them and spoke kindly to them."
Joseph was telling this to his brothers, who hated him, who wanted to kill him but instead sold him, and abandoned him. They did evil to him. They hurt him. They did not deserve his forgiveness for what they had done.
I love when Joseph says, you meant it for evil but God meant it for good. We all face trials. We all get hurt. People WILL hurt us, especially the ones we love the most tend to hurt us the worst. Its because we are sinful humans. It's inevitable. But here is the thing, the thing I hope to always understand, the thing that Joseph learned to understand is that:
God will never waste our pain.
What happened to Joseph sucked. It hurt. He was let down. He was betrayed. He was wronged. But God used that for good. God used all he had been through to shape his character and refine him.
I must remember this. God will not waste my pain. I want everything I have been through to bring glory to the Lord. I hope and pray that he would come to understand this. That God sees his pain. That if only he would turn to Him, He will provide everything he needs to get through this.
"It insults the forgiving heart of our heavenly father when we do not forgive one another."
"How much does the kingdom of God suffer when we are unforgiving? our FAILURE TO FORGIVE OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN CHRIST HOLDS BACK GOD'S DREAMS FOR OUR FUTURE."
I don't want to insult the Lord, or take for granted the Cross by not forgiving nor, do I want to not experience God's dreams for my life here on earth because I am too stubborn or prideful, hurt or afraid to forgive.
forgiveness is hard, especially when we have been hurt by a loved one, but God is with us, He is with me and He provides everything I need to do His will.
No matter what happens I'm glad that the Lord has been teaching me what it means to have a forgiving heart.

0 comments: